Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Chainsaw Search

     My wife said, "we need a chain saw" after we had to turn around because of a downed tree across the road and go back past the grizzly a second time.  Who am I to argue with that?

     I was all set to buy a shiny new one when I got thinking about older saws.  Why not have an old chainsaw for the old Jeep?  I did some reading and found that Homelite made some excellent saws back in the 60's and 70's. And, they made a lot of them.  Within a week I had bought two saws from two separate estate sales.


     The blue one is a 1972 Homelite XL-12 with a 16" bar.  The red one is a 1979 Homelite Super XL AO with a 20" bar. I've cut with both of them. They run well and are a good addition to the equipment we carry.

     Then the shop owner of Sutton's Saw Shop in Ashton told me that he had an old Homelite saw in his storage area.  It turned out to be a 1974 Homelite 150 Automatic in like new condition.


     I bought it to carry in my wife's 1963 Jeep CJ-5.  But, the saw is in such amazing condition I'd hate to ding it up, so I doubt we ever use it much.

     And so, within less than two weeks, we bought three good used saws for about half the price of one new saw.